GLC Green Tips: How to Reduce Junk Mail
Did you know that approximately 4 million tons of junk mail are sent every year? The U.S. spends 340 million dollars to dispose of that junk mail, often with it going straight from the mailbox to the trash. That’s a true waste on a lot of different levels.
Here are some simple steps you can take to reduce junk mail:
1) Catalogs – call number on catalog and ask to remove your name. This can be time consuming, especially when you account for holding times and navigating the automated voice messaging systems of most businesses today. But it’s a start and if you don’t have that many then an easy fix.
2) For first class mail – cross out your name and address, circle and write Refuse, Return to Sender.
3) Credit offers – call 1-888-5 OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688) or go to https://www.optoutprescreen.com
4) Coupons – Val-Pak or Velassis, call and ask to be taken off list. There is usually a number on the packet (you may have to hunt a bit).
5) Hire someone to do the dirty work for you! There are various organizations/companies that you can pay to remove you from lists and help you manage unwanted mail. One we recommend is Precycle. Formerly Green Dimes, Planet Green and Tonic.com partnered to form Precycle (better than recycle because you stop it before it hits the bin). There is a one-time fee of $36 + shipping and handling. You receive a kit for stopping unwanted mail. They plant 5 trees. Sign up at http://precycle.tonic.com. You might also check out DMA Choice – an organization that will also help you manage which marketing lists you want to be on versus those you don’t. It also helps you with email subscriptions. Call 888-567-8688 or visit www.dmachoice.org
Check out Green Living Consulting’s West Coast Partners on Bakersfield news giving Junk Mail tips!!